Coaches are vital to the mission of Special Olympics Utah as they provide the training and skills necessary to make an athlete a competitor, and the encouragement required to keep the athlete improving and competing at higher levels.
Coach Training & Certification
Being a certified coach is strongly recommended for anyone interested in being a coach and is required if you have a desire to coach at the Special Olympics National or World Games level.
Steps to Becoming a Certified Coach
Step One: REQUIRED FOR ALL COACHES - Green Level (Class A) Volunteer Registration and General Orientation
All coaches must obtain a Green Level (Class A) Volunteer status before being able to register as a coach or before being alone with any athletes. Complete the following application forms and General Orientation:
- Volunteer/Unified Partner Registration Form
- Background Screening Request Form (if over 18)
- General Orientation
Step Two: REQUIRED FOR ALL COACHES - Background Screening, Protective Behaviors and Concussion Awareness Courses
After you Coach Application form has been received and reviewed, you will receive an email to register for a background check conducted by Verified Volunteers, LLC. While waiting on the approval of your background check, you can complete the one of the two concussion courses and Protective Behaviors courses.
- CDC Concussion Training
- NFHS Concussion Training (Mandatory for all High School/Unified Sports Coaches)
- Protective Behaviors Training
- Return to Activity
- Covid Code of Conduct
- Covid Communicable Diseases Waiver
Step Three: STRONGLY RECOMMENDED - Additional Coach Education Opportunities
Coaches are encouraged to continually look for opportunities to improve upon their core coaching and sports specific knowledge. SOUT offers three levels of Coaching Certification with content specific to those levels.
- Level 1 – Core Coaching Knowledge
- Coaching Special Olympics Athletes (Traditional Special Olympics)
- Coaching Unified Sports Course (Unified Sports)
- Level 2 – Sport Specific Knowledge
- Level 3 – Advance Coaching Knowledge